Most of our Dominican divorce certificate enquiries come from non-Dominicans who divorced in the 1970s and 1980s, taking advantage of the Dominican Republic's quicky divorce laws which are only valid for people resident outside the Dominican Republic.
Common to many enquiries is the fact that now years later, our customers cannot always remember the specific date of their divorce, nor the name of the town the divorce was decreed.
Dominican divorce documents
There are different types of Dominican divorce documents we can obtain for you:
- Divorce decree from the court.
- Copy of your entire divorce file from the court, which other than the decree would probably include the newspaper announcement of your divorce, your separation agreement regarding division of property, and custody of children, etc.
- Divorce certificate from the registry office. (Within 6 months’ the court decree must be registered at the nearest registry office for the divorce to be finalized.
We charge in two stages:
1. Search fee
Whichever document you need, we initially search at the registry office, and from the registry office we obtain the details of the court decree. Our search fee depends on how much information you can give us about the divorce:
- If you know the place and exact date of the divorce OR if you have an old copy of your decree/certificate that you could send us, we charge a US$95 search fee.
- If you do NOT know the exact date OR place of the divorce, or if the divorce was from before 1945, we charge a US$195 search fee.
Once we locate your divorce record at the registry office, we shall send you by email a draft print-out of your divorce record as held in the registry office. This is included in the engagement/search fee mentioned above.
2. Our fees for your Dominican divorce documents
Our fees for all Dominican divorce papers mentioned below include shipping via
certified international airmail which takes between 2 and 4 weeks to arrive. For a supplement of only US$95
we can offer delivery via UPS courier which takes between 2 and 3 working days to arrive most places:
Dominican divorce certificate
|An original long-form divorce certificate with,legalisation and apostille.||US$115|
Dominican divorce decree
|From the court, we shall have it certified and,apostilled for it to have validity overseas.||US$295|
entire divorce file from the Dominican court
|This includes a certified and apostilled decree. And includes all documentation on file in the courthouse relating to your divorce such as copies of custody/separation agreements etc, and perhaps even a copy of the divorce announcement which appeared in the newspaper. Because not all of these documents were issued by the court (newspaper announcement etc), the entire file cannot be legalised or apostilled, only the decree.||US$395|
Special deluxe Dominican divorce
|For all of the following:|
- Divorce certificate (legalised & apostilled) including translation into English
- Divorce decree (certified & apostilled), translation not included but we can quote for this once we have seen the decree.
- Copy of entire divorce file from the court (for details, see below)
- UPS courier shipping
Dominican divorce Q&A
Questions we have been asked by clients regarding their Dominican divorces:
What other Dominican divorce documents can you obtain for us? Other than Dominican divorce certificates, we can also obtain the following:
- Separation agreements which form part of the paperwork. We have successfully obtained from the court for our clients a certified copy of their separation agreement from 1991. We were also able to have this separation agreement legalized and apostilled.
- Dominican divorce decrees (in Spanish sentencia). For the same client referred to above, we were able to obtain a photocopy of the divorce decree but were unable to have this certified and apostilled because the judge back in 1991 never ever signed the decree!
My ex-wife and I divorced in Santo Domingo in 1980, and I now need a copy of our Dominican divorce certificate. If I give you the approximate date of the divorce, and our full names, would you be able to help? Possibly. Many old records are not in the registry-office database, so if your divorce record hasn't been computerized, we have to search manually. Santo Domingo has 16 registry offices, so to save us lots of legwork and telephone calls, please send us as much information as possible, for example, do you remember the name of your lawyer?
|Inside a provincial Dominican registry office|
I want a copy of my divorce papers but I'm not sure of the year and the date but it was in Tamboril please help. Thanks, if you send us your cédula (Dominican ID card) number, we may be able to track it down. Otherwise,unless your divorce record is in the registry-office database, since you don't even know an approximate date, it's going to be difficult for us to search.
I am an attorney in the USA, representing a client who was granted a divorce in the Dominican Republic between 1/1/87 and 12/31/88? We are unsure of the exact date and place. Thanks, you've already told me that both your client and his ex-wife are non-Dominicans, which makes our search like the proverbial needle in the haystack. We can charge you for a search of the electronic database, and who knows, we may strike it lucky, and locate the divorce record, but I doubt we shall locate it. The only reliable way for us to locate the record would be if your client can tell us where and when the divorce was decreed.
My ex-husband and I were divorced in the late 1970s a short drive outside Santo Domingo, I cannot find the papers. It was not a long drive as I remember but a very rural village at the time. The TV program "60 Minutes" had done a special on Dominican Republic divorces so it was around that year but I can't find info on it online. Thanks, without more specific details, it would be like searching for a needle in a haystack, since most old divorce records remain only in the original ledgers, and have not yet been entered into the registry offices' electronic database.
Dominican Foreign Ministry where we obtain the apostille which makes your Dominican divorce certificate legitimate overseas
I have recently re-married but never received a copy of my Dominican divorce certificate from my first marriage. Please complete our form on this page and we'll send you a quotation for our services.
I need a copy of my divorce papers, my husband at the time came to Haiti for the divorce. Thanks, but we only handle cases involving Dominican public records, not those from Haiti.
Dominican divorce comments"I received the documents 2 days ago. Thank you for your wonderful customer service." from C.
you so much, received and will highly recommend. Great 5-star service all the way." from Wilma